House-training a puppy

Sunday 7 August 2011
Was at Chapter 9 of "Born To Bark", with Stanley Coren describing how he had house-trained his terrier when it was a puppy.

There were many pointers that I wish to take note and use it as a guide when another opportunity arises. Maybe I will come across another abandoned puppy and take it home. Stanley provided situations when "accidents"will  happen, and as I was reading this, I recall that these has happened before, and that I did not understand and hence manage it well for the benefit of Max. He mentioned that:

"The traditional method of house-training involves establishing a routine and paying attention to time. Puppies don't have control over sphincter muscles until they are 5 or 6 months of age., but certain things predict when they need to poop or pee. Eating or drinking starts a wave of rhythmic contractions along the length of the digestive tract that results in elimination. Waking up from a nap and becoming active also triggers this response,and a bout of vigorous play can do it as well. Within 5 to 15 minutes after each meal, nap, or round of playing, you can predict that the pup will need to empty its bowels or bladder."

Stanley also mentioned that he uses a kennel crate as part of the house-training process. The puppy will treat this crate as its den, and it will instinctively try to avoid relieving themselves until they can.

"Ultimately, the dog comes to view the whole house as part of his den that must be kept clean. Usually, dogs will generalize this to include all indoor areas, whether your home or someone else's".

Relating this to Max: I boarded Max at a vet on the day I found him. He was there for two weeks because I had to be away for a holiday in 2 days time. When I got back home and went to see him to claim him back, the vet complimented Max, saying he is intelligent, and will not pee in his cage. I didn't ask her in detail how he relieved himself. Roughly, I can imagine how he did it. At home, I had a 3 foot-cage for Max, which was to be situated in the living room. He can't be put outside because Jon is there. I placed layers of newspapers on the surface. That evening Max did not eliminate at all. The next morning, the papers were still clean. I brought him to the garden to relieve himself before going to work. He finally eliminated. When I got back home at night, there were traces of urine on the floor surrounding the cage. "Now I know what the vet meant."  He definitely must have stood on two legs and  did it like a human man.  As for the poo. there were only little traces of it in the cage. Later, I knew that he had consumed most of it. From that day onwards, for as long as 3 weeks, I had to place thick layers of newspapers within a 2 feet radius from the cage. And every night I will have to replace the newspapers. The ones onside the cage rare;y needed to be changed.






Stanley mentioned that puppies tend to want to relieve themselves after play and sleep. The play part applies to Max. After running up and down the length and breadth of the house during play time, he will pee. That is in spite that he just did it 10 minutes earlier. There was one  method I that used to correct this behaviour - and it was wrong.  I would hold his head and push his nose toward the pee and scold and tap his muzzle with my fingers.

He was still brought out to eliminate twice a day even though he had done so in ( around) the cage. Within two weeks, the habit of eliminating outside the cage was broken. He didn't even poo anymore. Even now, I am very proud of him that he can hold his bladder for 16 hours - even if there is a temptation of a garden around for him to use - for me to come back and bring him out.




No comments:

Post a Comment