Max's and Jon's Dog Day Morning

Monday 8 August 2011
It was 4.30am and I had just come back with the dogs from their walk. Almost immediately it was my turn to eliminate. Halfway through, I heard yelps and growls from downstairs. The two are at it again! Or rather, Jon is having a go at Max again. I have heard this commotion before, and it is always as a result of Jon being irritated with Max running up-and down, and sometimes bumping into him. Lately I learnt that Jon have no intention to tear Max apart. He only clamps on Max's upper neck, and will let go after Max lets out 2-3 yelps.There are occasions of blood on the nose and ear. They look more likely of accidental bites than intentional bites. In fact, Jon is not the type who will draw blood from another dog or person. As an example, he once got badly hurt on one of his eye during a fight with a beagle-mix in the neighbourhood. That dog got an injury to his leg that only made him limp for the next one week. On the other hand, Max is not aggressive at all, and hence will not know how to retaliate forcefully.

This morning's incident was a bit different, in a sense that the yelps and growls were longer. Sounded as if Jon had intention to hurt Max. I rushed downstairs and called Max over and ran my hands over him. His neck was wet with Jon's saliva. As expected, there were no traces of blood. Max looked really terrified. He even went inside the cage to take refuge.

I would need to view the CCTV footage to get an inkling what triggered this incident. But I suspect that Max's irrepressible active movement had caused this. Over the past few weeks, I noticed Jon has fully tolerated Max and not resorting to growling at him to show his "alphaness". Or rather Max has fully accepted his role as a follower. On many occasions, while petting both of them, they get close together till their muzzles nearly get into contact. Hence, I am quite certain Jon was not picking on Max for no apparent reason.








No comments:

Post a Comment