A Chance at Life

Monday 15 August 2011
I have named the female stray dog which I found last week as Chance. It was named as such because - as is always described when people happen to meet - I had just finished having my breakfast at a restaurant I have not been before when she was spotted.

As of last evening, her given name will be very significant to her. She needs it survive for the next few days. Chance had developed parvovirus. When I saw her, she was listless, and had greenish color vomit in the cage. The vet was busy with a patient, so I had no opportunity yet to speak to him. I decided to take Chance for a walk. Just like the day before, she was reluctant to walk while I am holding the leash. But if I let it go, she willingly walks. Immediately, she went to an open space to eliminate. I observed her poo. Normal.

The next 20 minutes was all about urging her to get used to the leash. Before going back, she pooed one more time. It was watery. I told the vet about this, including that of the vomit. He said that she had vomited three times already, and then proceeded  to test her for viruses. The parvo test result was positive. Chance was promptly put on drips.

I hope Chance will not have a complicated route to recovery. The chances of her pulling through is 50-50. However, I was disturbed by the fact that the vet knew that she vomited 3 times for that day, and still not do anything about it. It was only when I told him of the condition of the poo, that he tested her.

No comments:

Post a Comment