Canine Brotherhood

Wednesday 24 August 2011
I came across these three dogs in the same area I found Chance.  Subsequent visits confirmed that the three of them go about in a team. Two of them - a male Retriever-mix, and a  female Terrier-mix - had a worn-out collar attached to them. The third one was a female mongrel. All three were cautious with my presence and stayed within arms length from me. But they were friendly, hoping that I have food for them. I had some kibbles in the car, and they ate it half-heartedly. Guess they were used to human food to fully appreciate the kibbles.

The mongrel was the most friendly. On that first meeting, I managed to touch her wet nose with my stretched arms. The other two were less enthusiastic, especially the Retriever. I later realised that this mongrel is the alpha. Her closest follower is the terrier. Whenever I want to get close to the terrier, this mongrel will intervene between us, while placing her foot on her body. There was an instance of affection demonstrated by this alpha. It could be the terrier was not well, because the alpha was licking the area beneath her right eye. The Retriever was, and is still always by himself.

I had given these three dogs simple, unimaginative nicknames: The mongrel is called Alpha Girl; terrier is Terrier Girl; and Retriever is called GR. The first two videos below are ones which shows the first and third meeting with them. All three were apprehensive during the first meet. Alpha Girl was the friendliest, with her licking my fingers and always offering her "hand" to me.  Though this is a sign - I later learnt - of dominance, it would be easy to train her to give "hand".  On the third meet up, I could pet her, while Terrier Girl started licking my hands. GR still stayed away. However on the sixth meet up, as shown in the last picture, GR began to sniff my hand, and I managed to pet him gently.

Being in a commercial area with many restaurants, these dogs will not have a problem getting food. In fact, these pack of three are among 4 or 5 packs who have staked a claim at different spots within a one-kilometer radius- with at least a restaurant nearby. I have not seen such a profound example of "territorial settlement" in a canine world. In spite of this, Alpha and Terrier Girl still eats the kibbles that I give them. GR doesn't eat it at all.

Thoughts of rescuing them have come across my mind. But who is going to take them in? Besides, no one is to be left behind because I reckon the one left behind will be lonely and depressed. On the other hand, these dogs here seem safe from the dog catchers. That's the benefit of living in areas where the humans are a majority non-Malays, where
the presence of dogs are not only tolerated, but accepted in the community.

There is one area I would like to share, where canine senses are concerned. There were times when they were not around their favourite spot when I stop by in the car.  But before I can even switch off the car engine, these dogs are seen running happily toward the car. Canine senses always intrigue me.

                                                         


































No comments:

Post a Comment