Jon's Vaccination

Tuesday 17 May 2011
Jon has gotten his vaccination booster shots! This sounds like an exaggerated achievement, but when you know Jon's background and experiences he had gone through you will understand why this is an achievement.
It has been two years since Jon had his vaccination shots. I skipped the shots last year because I dido not know how to control him when he was about to be administered. This is because of two traumatic incidents that he had gone through, which I don't want him to go through again.
The first one was related to his first vaccination. It was one year after I adopted him from the streets. At that time, I thought why not also neuter him. Being out in the wild for at least two years of his life, Jon won't want to be leashed -, let alone have a collar on him. So the vet had to be called over. That day was our lucky day or something. We managed to leash him, put him in a cage, and finally anaesthetise him.
Second incident: This was a year later when I wanted to seek help from a trainer to make Jon accept the collar and leash. It took the trainer two trips;1 week of having Jon chained to the gate (for conditioning purposes); and the ultimate option of anaesthetising him, before he could be sent to the training center. The whole process was traumatising for him, and it hurt me to see him go through it.
So now to the present: For two months , I brought Jon to the vet to have him get used to the place and the vet. During the visits he was still nervous; avoiding the vet; and always at the door wanting to get out of the vet. On Saturday, I asked the vet if there is some kind of oral anaesthetic available. To my surprise, he said yes. I bought 5 tablets of Calmivet to be served with Jon's food the next day.
On Sunday, the sedatives were mixed with the food, and Jon left one tablet uneaten. I then mixed it with some wet food, and he took it in. Time to go to the vet! Over there, he just would not lie down and concede defeat to the sedatives. But he was groggy. The vet gave me a towel to cover Jon's eyes, while he quickly jabbed him. Thankfully Jon could not even respond.
Back home, Jon was groggy for over 8 hours. And he was moody, with Max at the receiving end.



In a state of grogginess
 
Jon taking it out on Max. I am refraining and reprimanding him.
                                                                                                        
                                                                                                                                         



No comments:

Post a Comment