Nacho

Tuesday 10 May 2011
The story of Nacho had been one of full of adventure and misadventure. Rescued in March 2009; sent to shelter; adopted in June; returned back to shelter in September; had low white blood count and treated at vet for a month; sent back to shelter after recovery; adopted again in March 2010.
Being so attached to him, I traced (yes it was not right) the address of the adopter to Jalan Gasing. Whenever I pass by the place - at least 5 times - Nacho is not to be seen. Had my doubts whether he is still there.
So today, I took time off to distribute flyers of my pet sitting services in that area. As I approached the mailbox of this house, I was hoping for a bark. What I heard when I inserted the flyer into the mailbox was a rushing dog growling. I was not taken aback, but very happy to hear the sound. As I scanned for a four-legged animal between the railings of the gate, there he is looking at me! He looked so trim. Not the overweight pup. I whispered "Nacho", "Nacho". He seemed to recognise the name and jumped at the gate.
Then the maid came out and called his name. Couldn't catch the name. I proceeded to talk to the maid explaining briefly the services I provide to pet owners. As I walked away to look at him - probably for the last time - Nacho was still looking at me. He was motionless and rooted to the ground. And he was puzzled. He must be wondering why I am here, calling his old name. I realise immediately it was not fair to him to confuse him this way.
I decided today will be the last time I will "stalk" Nacho. Partly because I am relieved that he is still there, and well taken of by a good family. I know they are good - at least from their demographic description.
Nacho, I wish you well.
FYI, the profile picture of me and the dog - the dog is Nacho. No...was Nacho.

No comments:

Post a Comment