Candle in the Dark

Monday 23 May 2011
I am going off the tangent for this post, but still related to dogs.
In the Chinese customs belief, when someone in the house-hold passes away, a candle is lit up at corners of junctions leading to the home. All the while I thought it is meant for well-wishers to easily find their way to the house to pay their respects. Last night there was such a candle in my neighbourhood. I only realised a few months ago that the candle is actually meant to show the way for the spirit of the dead to find his/her way home.
This morning when it was still dark, as I was out with the dogs for them to eliminate and for our exercise, we came across another candle at another junction. Jon was looking at it while walking pass it.
I know he has not seen this before, hence his curiosity. But I wondered at that time - and the thought brought my hair in my upper torso to stand - was it actually the candle or something lurking at that corner that piqued his curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment