Call of the Crows

Sunday 15 May 2011
At 7pm this evening, I was going over to feed stray dogs some  leftover chicken bones. I usually leave it by the sidewalk, and by the next morning at 6am, the bones would be gone.
During this time of the year when the day is longer than night, it was still bright at 7pm. I left the bones on the floor. The crows were still flying around and cawing. I waited for a while to see if they would come for the food. There was this single caw sound from a crow above me somewhere in the trees. He kept on and on cawing. I knew he was sounding out for the others. Soon, a second crow responded.
I decided to step further away. I was merely 10 meters from the food. In a blink of an eye, three crows came swooping down to the ground. I quickly chased them away. I realised there were many more flying aound me. Most landed on the branches to monitor me. I said I will be damned if I let you guys have these food. So I went back to my car and waited. At 7.23pm, the call of Muslim prayers from a mosque came on. It was either because of this noise that the crows took the cue to fly off, or that the visibility at this time is the least they can endure. The sky was completely clear of any crows.

No comments:

Post a Comment