Teri the Wire-Haired Terrier

Monday 19 September 2011
In a recent post Canine Brotherhood, I mentioned that there were three dogs which were always together. However, during this mating season, the terrier was nowhere to be seen. I thought this could be due to her being on heat. During my next visit, I spotted her roaming around at one of the roads. She was pregnant. That explains her disappearance.


I had always wanted to rescue these three dogs, but only after they fully get used to my  presence. Besides, I will be holding a leash and a collar, and they will definitely freak out upon seeing it. But the terrier's pregnancy accelerated the need to take her off the streets. A few days later, the intent of my visit was clear. Get the terrier. After work, I went over at 6pm to look for her. She was not around. I took my chance to  just wait for her at an area of 50 meter radius. It was 45 minutes later that I saw her rummaging for food at a garbage disposal bin. I attracted her attention and waved a bag of kibbles. I made sure that when she came over, we will be near my car. She did come over and I let her eat. Since she had an old collar on her, it was easy for me to attach the leash. She was not surprised and did not struggle to free herself when she realised that she had been leashed. Nevertheless, she refused to budge when I pulled the leash. She just remained seated. Not sure if she will bite me if I carried her to my car, I patiently nudged her seated rump toward the car. Every nudge moved her for about 6 inches. When she was about 1 foot from the car, I decided to carry  her. I was ready to risk getting bitten. I would have waited longer if she had been larger. She did not resist and I thanked her for her cooperation.

I drove to the vet and asked if he could take care of the dog and her soon-to-be-delivered pups. The vet measured her weight (10kg), and did some blood tests. He said she could be around 2-3 years old, and that she is a Wire-Haired Terrier. She could be due to deliver in about 2 weeks.



I had decided to name this dog Teri. I have put her up for adoption on http://www.petfinder.com.my/, and will do the same for her puppies. In the meantime, I feed her eggs and chicken wings whenever I visit her. I hope her delivery turns out well, and shall see what is the next course of action. In the meantime, I plan to get the other two remaining dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment