Rescuing Alpha

Wednesday 28 September 2011
In my recent post, Canine Brotherhood, I mentioned that there were three dogs which are always together. I have taken Teri off the streets. She had just recently given birth to six pups.

Recently, me and a friend went to the same area I rescued Teri to look for Alpha. As it was the mating season, we were not surprised to see six other dogs together with her. One of the six male dogs was the third "buddy" of Teri and Alpha, GR. It became quickly clear which were the top competitors to consummate this year's round of the mating ritual. It was GR and the one in the picture below.  

In fact GR - even though much larger in size than the other dog - was not even close in being the alpha male. This other dog was more determined; he was the one more frequently trying to mount Alpha, while fending off GR. GR did not manage to even manage one attempt. GR and him will frequently square off with each other. Surprisingly, the fight was just baring of teeth and growling. Anyway, Golden Retriever are not aggressive? They are one of the most compassionate breeds. At one point, these two dogs were standing on their two feet with their front paws on each other. Just like how bears behave. They were merely growling at each other.

In the meantime, Alpha was running, sitting, putting her tail down. As the sun was setting, me and my friend decided to accomplish our mission quickly. And it was because of us that this alpha male successfully overcame Alpha's resistance. Initially, when I put the collar on her, she freaked out and ran away. We thought that she would never come back. Luck was on our side as she still came over hesitantly when we called for her. But once the leash was attached, Alpha went berserk. She stood up, and this caused her to forget to defend her back. With a blink of an eye, this alpha male mounted on her.


Truth to tell, that was my first encounter witnessing a complete process of dogs mating. I was both awed and emabarrassed - because people were gawking at us. As if it was to give us all the spotlight, this incident happened to occur under a lighted street lamp. My friend, though, had already seen this process many times.
The two dogs were subsequently locked to each other at the back. I was fortunate to bring my friend along, as she had advised me on the do's and dont's while copulation was in process. If I was on my own, I would have forced the two dogs away, which will risk injuring them and myself getting bitten.


While we were waiting, I noticed GR was looking from afar with a forlorn look. Finally the dogs were separated after 30 minutes. This alpha dog still had not had enough of Alpha while my friend carried her into the car. He kept obstructing her from moving Alpha. I told him to get lost and take a nap.

We quicly drove off to the vet before it closed. She was so exhausted that the car seat cover was wet with her saliva. Alpha was checked in, and was told by the vet she would be spayed in three days.
I went to see Alpha yesterday. She has been spayed. I was not surprised that she looked depressed. She had been a roaming dog , and now is caged in. I took her for a walk before I left.


No comments:

Post a Comment