Be Vigilant During Mating Season

Tuesday 13 September 2011
When I walk my dogs, I don't bring along a long object to protect against stray dogs. The strays in the neighbourhood may be afraid of humans, but seeing an outsider dog is another matter. With the ongoing mating season, their hostile response to other dogs is now more intense. During other periods of the year, we have been barked and chased by stray dogs, but they always stop when they see me stamping my feet and pretending to take something (on one occasion I actually took a stone and hurled at them when they didn't retreat) to throw at them.

This morning I decided to bring a metal rod because I wanted to let Max run off-leash. When a dog attack happens, Jon will know whether to face them or run away. He has been on the streets before he was adopted. As for Max, I am sure he will not be able to avoid being harmed. This is based on two facts: First, he is much smaller in size. Second, he is too inclined to be friendly. I am sure he will actually approach these dogs, and they will perceive it as a challenge. Initially - when he was younger - I thought he was naive, inquisitive, and not able to differentiate between friend and foe; and between what is safe and dangerous. For example, he learnt that Jon is not friendly after getting pounced upon with bite marks. Until now, I still don't know what is behind Max's gung ho behaviour. I think he likes to face challenges presented by humans, dogs and inanimate objects. And this morning's incident somehow affirmed my conclusion.

We were taking a different route to a playground so that I could release Max to run. Just before reaching the place, two dogs appeared very quickly toward us. One of them seemed to have an owner because he had a collar on him. The other larger one - which was an alpha - appeared to be a stray. I stood my ground and shouted at them, but the alpha did not retreat. I then waved the metal rod and moved forward by two steps. He still walked on, albeit slower. I then frantically waved the rod, and this made him stop. We quickly walked away, leaving the two of them trailing us. It was not so much as to shoo us away, but more of sniffing on the ground for any scents left behind by my two dogs.

As I regained my senses, I recalled the incident and realised how differently Max and Jon dealt with the situation. Upon seeing the dogs, Jon quickly ran off. Max didn't move but looked at them. When I faced-off with them, Jon got back his courage and came to my side (not in front) and growled. Max lunged forward, but did not make any sound. I am sure if the leash was off, Max would not fight the dogs, but will actually enthusiastically greet them. Both of them respond to their own kind in opposite ways. Jon being hostile and fearful, while Max is too friendly.

All said, I will always be bringing the rod during our walks until this mating season is over. The hostility displayed by the males are too intense.

No comments:

Post a Comment