Early Morning Greeting

Sunday 24 July 2011
I was awaken at about 1 am plus by some noise in my front porch. Didn't sound like it came from my dogs, but I still looked out from my bedroom. Seeing nothing suspicious, I went back to sleep.
When I woke up at 4am to start bringing the dogs out, I saw an object on the floor in the midst of the darkness. I gave it a nudge with my foot. It felt soft, and immediately I knew what it was. It was a shrew. Or that's what I thought. It looked bigger than a shrew. "Crap, it's a rat?" Yes, it was.

Shrews are very common in this neighbourhood. Jon has killed a few. But for him to kill a rat, it is a first for him. I have killed a lot of rats after trapping them. I used to kill shrews, but lately have let them go a few hundred meters away from my area. They are not that dirty, don't stay in the house, and they are kind of cute.
I noticed there were blood stains on its body. I figured that this fella put up a fight against Jon, and Jon retaliated with more force. With a shrew, there were never any blood. A small force of the teeth is enough to kill it.

No comments:

Post a Comment