Is your dog licking or kissing?

Wednesday 29 June 2011
A while ago, I posted  about my recent dog sitting of a Malamute-Husky dog, Max. I mentioned that he welcomes me to his home by licking me. I have just read an article - of the above mentioned title - by Dr Nicholas Dodman.

In regards to my experience with Max, these could be the possibilities. First, it could be that Max licked "as a gesture of appeasement and goodwill." Or it could be that "it seems that they engage in face licking because they can get away with it and because it gets a rise out of the person. When licking is performed for such a reason, it may be component of the "center stage," attention-demanding behavior of dominant dogs."

In what circumstances do your dogs lick you? Do you allow him/her to do so, or do you welcome and relish it? For me, I welcome and relish licks from any dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment